Italian Chicken Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion in oil until sausage is browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, zucchini, broth, mushrooms, water, pesto, wine, vinegar, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 337 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 10g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Jan 20, 2015
This is delicious! Reminds me of pizza as it cooks. This is good without the beans. Add a pinch of salt & hot pepper flakes to taste. I also used turkey Italian sausage links in place of chicken.
Jan 4, 2015
Had leftover chicken sausage and decided to try this soup. Made it exactly as written. Also great to take to work for lunch the next day. Excellent!
Jan 3, 2013
A family favorite. Leftovers are great when packing your lunch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.