Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/3 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-3/4 cups beef broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup sliced quartered zucchini
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, water, tomatoes, green pepper, carrot, wine, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat. Stir in the sausage, tortellini, zucchini and parsley. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until tortellini is tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 382 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1294mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 17, 2018
So delishis! Love it!!
Oct 10, 2013
I have been making this soup since it was first published in 2007! I triple this to make 6 servings. It tastes even better the next day! Definitely a keeper.
Sep 23, 2011
Just found this recipe and went to the store to pick up the few ing. i needed.I had some pre-cooked sausage in the freezer so i used that and just sauteed my onion and garlic in olive oil.I also added the zucchini with my carrots and tomatoes because i like very tender veggies.The results were delicious,the house smelled wonderful while it simmered.I am making copies of this to give to co-workers!!
Jan 21, 2011
This was so good. The only changes I made was to use Italian Turkey Sausage and do it in my little slow cooker because I can't stand up. I cooked everything for one hour on high then added the zucchini and tortellini. It turned out very good. It tasted great on a very cold night.
Apr 1, 2010
I've made this many times and my family LOVES it!! I sprinkle the top of each bowl with fresh grated parmesan cheese and serve with homemade bread and it's a hit every time. My teenage granddaughter even took the recipe to college.