Italian Sausage and Zucchini Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, onion and pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles, 4-6 minutes; drain.
- Add broth, tomatoes, basil and parsley; bring to a boil. Stir in zucchini and orzo; return to a boil. Cook, covered, until zucchini and orzo are tender, 10-12 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 191 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 789mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jun 21, 2019
I like this soup because it's just a little out of our family's normal comfort range, but everyone will eat it. The zucchini and orzo add a little bit of variety. We use spicy sausage for a bit of a kick. A solid recipe.
Jun 19, 2019
Good, but probably won't make again
Apr 27, 2019
I make a variation of this soup using mini dried cheese ravioli then serve it dressed with Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of fresh chopped basil. I called it pizza soup. It is always a hit.
Nov 4, 2018
This soup is so delicious! I did spicy sausage instead of Italian and it added a little kick to it.
Feb 11, 2018
So very yummy!
Nov 10, 2015
My husband loved this soup recipe. He kept going back for more. Thank you it was a big success as well as delicious too!
Sep 24, 2015
Very tasty and easy to make. I'll be making this again!
Sep 8, 2015
Very simple and using garden fresh veggies and herbs makes it burst with flavor! Thanks!