Chicken & Spaghetti Squash
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (4 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tomatoes, pesto, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cover and process until blended; set aside. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chicken and reserved tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. In a large ovenproof skillet, layer half of the squash, chicken mixture and reserved crumb mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 348 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 27g protein.
Apr 4, 2018
Kids loved it. Changes: did not cook chicken in there in case kids didn't like it (worked great on top of grilled chicken), added a bunch of spinach, did not add cheese but sprinkled parmesan on top at the end, added a bit of cornstarch to the sauce before baking to thicken it. A little watery - will drain the spaghetti squash next time as per reviews below.
Oct 2, 2017
I made this recipe for supper tonight. It is delicious. I will definitely make it again. Thank you for sharing.
Oct 2, 2017
My whole family loved this recipe. It was my first time eating spaghetti squash. Loved it! Will definitely make this again. Thank you for sharing!
Jun 29, 2017
First time user of Spaghetti Squash and glad to have run across this recipe! Liked by all
Jan 14, 2015
This recipe was a BIG hit! And it's even better the next day, so make lots!!! We really liked this. My husband is not normally a big fan of spaghetti squash, but he said this recipe is a keeper! I guess we'll be planting spaghetti squash in our garden this year!
Dec 28, 2014
I doubled this recipe for my family of 6 and they devoured it! The best casserole I've made by far! My kids didn't even realize they were eating squash!!!
Jun 25, 2014
This was delicious I used ro-tel for the tomatoes. And the Spaghetti squash fresh out of the garden.Even my super picky 9yr old cleaned his plate and said it was yummy and I was the best cook..
May 2, 2014
This was delicious. Followed advice from others, drained spaghetti squash, added diced zucchini . I used Italian diced tomatoes, doubled the sauce recipe, and 1 1/2 lbs of diced chicken. My husband likes a lot of meat and sauce. I would make this again and may add carrots next time.
Mar 25, 2014
Very good and easy to prepare.
Mar 11, 2014
Perfect! I just discovered spaghetti squash and this recipe really hit the spot.