Garlic Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash in a 13x9-in. baking pan, cut side down; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and mushrooms over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add half of the garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, pasta sauce and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add remaining garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in squash, salt and remaining pepper; heat through. Serve with meat sauce and, if desired, cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups squash with 1 cup meat sauce: 443 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 11g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 19, 2018
I liked this recipe very much. I didn’t have fresh mushrooms or plum tomatoes so my modifications were a can of undrained sliced mushrooms and one regular tomato. The sauce was nice and thick. Be sure to finish the squash like it says to add the garlic flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.