Italian Spaghetti with Chicken & Roasted Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, zucchini and squash. Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder and remaining Italian seasoning. In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until no longer pink. Remove from skillet.
- Add broth and wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 4-6 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Drain spaghetti. Add spaghetti and vegetables to tomato mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups with 1 tablespoon cheese: 379 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jan 11, 2016
We felt there was too much sauce for the amount of pasta. We'll make this again using 2 - 8 ounce cans with a 3rd can ready if needed. We liked the combination of chicken and roasted vegetables.
Dec 3, 2015
I love the idea of this recipe, but the sauce was too thick and lacking in flavor. The sauce needed a little sugar to balance all the acidity from the tomato sauce. A little bit of red pepper flakes would be nice too. The chicken was perfect.
Nov 3, 2015
Great recipe! Easy to make, hearty & delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.