Italian Spaghetti with Chicken & Roasted Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, zucchini and squash. Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder and remaining Italian seasoning. In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until no longer pink. Remove from skillet.
- Add broth and wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 4-6 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Drain spaghetti. Add spaghetti and vegetables to tomato mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups with 1 tablespoon cheese: 379 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 11, 2016
We felt there was too much sauce for the amount of pasta. We'll make this again using 2 - 8 ounce cans with a 3rd can ready if needed. We liked the combination of chicken and roasted vegetables.
Dec 3, 2015
I love the idea of this recipe, but the sauce was too thick and lacking in flavor. The sauce needed a little sugar to balance all the acidity from the tomato sauce. A little bit of red pepper flakes would be nice too. The chicken was perfect.
Nov 3, 2015
Great recipe! Easy to make, hearty & delicious!