Pasta with Chicken and Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, julienned
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, julienned
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add cream and butter; cook until butter is melted. Stir until smooth. Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Rinse and drain pasta; add to cheese mixture. Cover and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons oil until onion is tender. Add squash; cook until tender. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper; remove and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to skillet; cook chicken with herbs and remaining salt until juices run clear. Place pasta on a serving platter; top with chicken and squash.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 695 calories, 43g fat (22g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Apr 12, 2019
Oct 19, 2018
I absolutely love this dish. I've been making it for at least 15 yrs (or whenever it first came out). I make it exactly as is, other then halving it for just the two of us. hubby and company love it too
May 18, 2018
Great recipe that comes together quickly with delicious results. I actually used chicken that we had grilled and just made t he pasta and squash/zucchini as directed. Delicious!
Jun 25, 2017
The cheesy pasta in the recipe comes threw nicely with the chicken and squash!! It's a keeper!!
Nov 8, 2014
One of my family's favorites. Didn't change a thing...don't think it needs anything.
Sep 4, 2014
I made this for dinner last night, and it was delicious! I did make a few changes -- I used skim milk in place of the heavy cream (since we're trying to cut back on calories) and it turned out just fine. The pasta was a bit bland, so I added crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the sauce. And I added some green and yellow peppers to the squash. Yum!
Aug 20, 2013
This is really good. I had to change it though i used half heavy cream & half 1% milk ( thats what i had on and i would use half & half if i was going to shop). I also had to season it more. I actually added crushed red pepper, salt & white & black ground pepper to the cheese sauce & it made it much better. I also added some fresh cayenne peppers to the squash & that helped as well. I season everything well so if you're used to a blander dish then just make it the way it is. Still very excellent!
Sep 28, 2011
Good idea, but not alot of flavor, we had to add alot more seasoning then the recipe called for, expect to have to add seasoning
Mar 26, 2011
Jul 4, 2010
I agree completely with Doreensanzone--very rich. I have used half and half in the cheese sauce with good results.