Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 8 inches)
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Slice the squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add water and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Meanwhile, brown beef in a large skillet; drain. Add onion, green pepper, herbs and seasonings; saute until onion is transparent. Stir in tomato puree. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Scoop out the squash, separating the strands with a fork. Just before serving; stir 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese into the meat sauce. Serve sauce over spaghetti squash and pass remaining Parmesan.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 308 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein.
Jun 18, 2019
Someone gave me a spaghetti squash so I used it to make this tasty dish. We thought the sauce was delicious and it went well with the spaghetti squash.
Oct 15, 2017
I made this so we could try the squash instead of pasta, and I was wanting a recipe that my kids would also eat. It was delicious, and I would make it again. I did have to cook my squash longer, it must have been bigger than what the recipe called for. I also added some water to my sauce. It sat in the pan longer, waiting for the squash to cook, and it got thick.
Nov 29, 2014
I only wish Spaghetti Squash wasn't so high is potassium. We both loved it but he has to watch is potassium closely,
Nov 17, 2014
I followed the cooking instructions for the squash and used my homemade sauce and meatballs. I loved it, my 10 yr old thought it was good, unfortunately my husband doesn't care for it. Too bad! I'm making it again!
Apr 24, 2014
Ground turkey is a nice subistute to make this dish even healthier!
Dec 1, 2013
I've made this dish many times and it's always a hit. I add more chili powder for more "kick" and I find fresh herbs really add to the flavor
Feb 23, 2013
Tried it instead of pasta noodles, families new favorite:)