Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 8 inches)
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Slice the squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add water and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Meanwhile, brown beef in a large skillet; drain. Add onion, green pepper, herbs and seasonings; saute until onion is transparent. Stir in tomato puree. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Scoop out the squash, separating the strands with a fork. Just before serving; stir 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese into the meat sauce. Serve sauce over spaghetti squash and pass remaining Parmesan.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 308 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 15, 2017
I made this so we could try the squash instead of pasta, and I was wanting a recipe that my kids would also eat. It was delicious, and I would make it again. I did have to cook my squash longer, it must have been bigger than what the recipe called for. I also added some water to my sauce. It sat in the pan longer, waiting for the squash to cook, and it got thick.
Nov 29, 2014
I only wish Spaghetti Squash wasn't so high is potassium. We both loved it but he has to watch is potassium closely,
Nov 17, 2014
I followed the cooking instructions for the squash and used my homemade sauce and meatballs. I loved it, my 10 yr old thought it was good, unfortunately my husband doesn't care for it. Too bad! I'm making it again!
Apr 24, 2014
Ground turkey is a nice subistute to make this dish even healthier!
Dec 1, 2013
I've made this dish many times and it's always a hit. I add more chili powder for more "kick" and I find fresh herbs really add to the flavor
Feb 23, 2013
Tried it instead of pasta noodles, families new favorite:)