Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Grated Romano cheese and additional basil
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
- Stir 1/4 cup basil and, if desired, sugar into sauce. Serve over spaghetti. Top with cheese and additional basil.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup spaghetti with 3/4 cup sauce (calculated without cheese): 327 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Aug 31, 2019
Conni is right, this is the best homemade sauce I've ever made, and eaten. the adjustments I made were simple. I ,added 2 Tbls minced garlic, 1pound of Italian sausage,( I like meat sauce) and I used cherry tomatoes(had a bumper crop). I will definitely make this again.
Aug 15, 2019
This is the best spaghetti I've ever made (and I've made a lot, being 73). I added garlic and used a variety of tomatoes.
Jul 31, 2019
Delicious. Tastes like summer. I used tomatoes, basil and onions from the garden.