Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Grated Romano cheese and additional basil
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
- Stir 1/4 cup basil and, if desired, sugar into sauce. Serve over spaghetti. Top with cheese and additional basil.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup spaghetti with 3/4 cup sauce (calculated without cheese): 327 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 12, 2020
We loved this sauce! I added ground sausage to the recipe. We will make this more often!!
Dec 9, 2019
I love this dish. My (41 year old) son doesn't. I'm right. He's wrong.
Aug 31, 2019
Conni is right, this is the best homemade sauce I've ever made, and eaten. the adjustments I made were simple. I ,added 2 Tbls minced garlic, 1pound of Italian sausage,( I like meat sauce) and I used cherry tomatoes(had a bumper crop). I will definitely make this again.
Aug 15, 2019
This is the best spaghetti I've ever made (and I've made a lot, being 73). I added garlic and used a variety of tomatoes.
Jul 31, 2019
Delicious. Tastes like summer. I used tomatoes, basil and onions from the garden.