Homemade Canned Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + simmering Process: 40 min.
- 25 pounds tomatoes (about 80 medium)
- 4 large green peppers, seeded
- 4 large onions, cut into wedges
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove each tomato and immediately plunge into ice water. Peel and quarter tomatoes; place in a stockpot.
- Pulse green peppers and onions in batches in a food processor until finely chopped; transfer to stockpot. Stir in next 11 ingredients. Add water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice to each of 9 hot 1-qt. jars. Ladle hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 40 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 118 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Aug 12, 2019
I haven't tried the recipe BUT I have been canning a lot in recent years and everything I read states bottled lemon juice should be used. The acidity is constant in bottled juice whereas fresh not so much. The success of a canning recipe depends on the acidity...lemon or vinegar to insure safety. Spices can used per taste.
Aug 6, 2019
Just learning to can tomatoes. When directions call for completely covering jars with water in bath, but video shows only a few inches. Which is correct?
Apr 2, 2019
First time at canning. Do you store in pantry or refrigerate?
Oct 3, 2018
Is this a true tested recipe with this much oil in it? It’s my understanding that canning things made with lil in large quantities can cause botchulism.
Sep 25, 2018
Recent health changes in my life have led me down a path to canning my own fresh food This recipe was the answer I need to a sauce that was easy to prepare and even easier to eat. My first batch I used approx 12 different varieties of tomatoes from mediums to slicers from my own garden. I seasoned exactly as stated but reduced the onions and gr peppers as a personal preference. Ill add fresh when I prepare my meal, like mushrooms and sauteed onions. This sauce is lovely. Better than any store bought and healthier for me and my loved ones. Thank you!!
May 30, 2018
I've been wanting to can sauce for years, think I will try this....many people say they had to add more spices....I think I would can as is and add more fresh when I am using it....also are mushrooms ok with this or should I wait and do them fresh also....thanks for the recipe and the great ideas from everyone...
Feb 23, 2018
I made this recipe and following the whole recipe. I used C oil, sugar and lemon juice. Make sure using 25 #s of tomatoes have at least 16 qt stock pot. I read someone else used 16#s of tomatoes because that what she had left , that cool. I used a little more of the spices. It tasted excellent!!!!
Oct 24, 2017
Made this recipe yesterday. The consistency is perfect and the flavor is better than my own recipe I have used for many years. I left out the oil as I normally would not use anyways and did not add additional water as the quartered tomatoes has plenty. Otherwise I followed the recipe as written. Sauce simmered for 5 hours and used my immersion blender for less than a minute to break up any larger tomato pieces remaining. The flavor is very fresh tasting. I used a half bushel of regular tomatoes and had a yield of 9 quarts and a pint. Out with my old recipe and in with this new. You won't be disappointed.
Sep 7, 2017
Made the sauce today. I start by following the recipe but used 16LBs of tomatoes that's what was left in my garden. I used 3 different kinds of tomatoes to give it extra flavor. But I had to up the seasoning I used1 TB oregano1TB of basil , 1 TB parsley flakes, 1 t salt, 1t pepper flakes , 2 bay leaves, 3 x 6oz can of paste and the Worcestershire sauces. It was a great base recipe. But needed more , I used 12 garlic cloves, 2 onions, 1 red and green pepper. 1/2 c oil and no sugar, Added no water. simmered for 5 hours. produced 12 pints . family kept sneaking bowls out. Also added 1 TB of lemon juice per pint had no effect on taste.
Aug 29, 2017
I just made this and put in the oil, so sounds like I will need to freeze it and not can it? Also, it says to 'add water to cover' but I am nervous because I just tossed several jars I made last year from another recipe that is like water. Please let me know if you added the water. The instructions are not really clear here.