Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked gluten-free pasta
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add cream; cook and stir until heated through. Stir in Asiago, 1/2 cup Parmesan, Romano cheese, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water; place pasta in a large bowl. Add sauce; toss to coat. Thin as desired with reserved pasta water. Serve with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 740 calories, 51g fat (31g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 692mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
May 16, 2020
Celiac disease includes gluten and lactose intolerance. This recipe contains a large amt of full cream that contains lactose. FYI
Dec 18, 2018
We loved this sauce and it was so easy to make. I have made this several times and used with pasta, and as a sauce to casserole dishes - it's great!