Homemade Alfredo Sauce
When I found out I had celiac disease and couldn't have fettuccine Alfredo, I was determined to figure out a way to re-create it. This has now become one of my most requested dishes. I use gluten-free multigrain pasta, but you can use any style of pasta. —Jackie Charlesworth Stiff, Frederick, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked gluten-free pasta
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add cream; cook and stir until heated through. Stir in Asiago, 1/2 cup Parmesan, Romano cheese, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water; place pasta in a large bowl. Add sauce; toss to coat. Thin as desired with reserved pasta water. Serve with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
Test Kitchen tip