Beef Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mushrooms; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts0.666 cup: 163 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Sep 14, 2012
I absolutely love this spaghetti sauce, it's got just the right amount of heartiness and sauciness, not too runny and not too dry. I added 1 can of hot rotel tomatoes the second try and I also use fresh garlic when sauteing the onions. Love it! Thanks!
Aug 4, 2012
My whole family LOVES this spaghetti sauce! I've been making it for several years now. I think the long simmer, as it instructs, REALLY makes this extra yummy!
Mar 4, 2011
I used this recipe for a Big Cook day and it was fantastic!! I will definitely be making this again :) It was great both as a spaghetti sauce as well as making great lasange.
Jul 1, 2010
Simple and easy, this recipe is excellent! I used my home grown tomatoes instead of can crushed and fresh basil not dried --and everyone loved it. Made this several times and will make many more times
Oct 3, 2009
I think this is a very nice recipe. I like meat sauce and my husband likes meatballs. But he really likes this one Thank you
Oct 1, 2009
Hmmm...I'd like to try putting this in the slow cooker after cooking the ground beef and veggies. I am looking forward to trying this.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.