Italian Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, Italian seasoning and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cheese.
- Serve desired amount over spaghetti. Cool remaining sauce; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 231 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 778mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2019
I'm a very senior senior, eaten spaghetti sauce for years. This by far my fav!!
Sep 6, 2011
This has become a family favorite! We actually grow roma tomatoes so we can make this from our own garden tomatoes in the fall.
Jul 28, 2010
Love this recipe so much....feed a crowd or freeze half for later.