Italian Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, Italian seasoning and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cheese.
- Serve desired amount over spaghetti. Cool remaining sauce; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 231 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 778mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Sep 6, 2011
This has become a family favorite! We actually grow roma tomatoes so we can make this from our own garden tomatoes in the fall.
Jul 28, 2010
Love this recipe so much....feed a crowd or freeze half for later.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.