Sausage Pasta Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (29 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, peppers and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, brown sugar and seasonings.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a blender, process tomato mixture in batches until smooth. Return to the pan. Add sausage; heat through. Gradually stir in cream. Cook and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; top with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Jan 9, 2018
Delicious! Left out the cream. Pureed the tomatoes before adding to the onions.
Oct 18, 2017
best ever!!!! there is not enough stars for this recipe. I will always make it, it is Delicious!!!!!!! But make it the way the recipe says too.
Mar 28, 2015
I also left out the cream and it was still delicious. I also added spinich and my toddler had no idea!
Oct 11, 2014
Actually, this pasta sauce is a 20-star recipe! So sorry I could only give it a 5! The flavors are rich and satisfying. A very hearty offering for those hungry guys in the family. Also special enough for casual company. I have frequently doubled this recipe and frozen it to have a ready-made sauce for school nights. Doubling worked fine--no adjustments were necessary. I use half and half instead of heavy whipping cream but everything stays the same. All-time family favorite for many years!!!
Jan 27, 2012
Great recipe! I halved it to feed my family of 6. I left out the peppers, I did not have any on hand. I also did not use stewed tomatoes and switched crushed tomatoes for tomato sauce. I also left out the whipped cream and skipped the pureeing process. I did all the cooking in one large skillet. This makes a deliciously different pasta sauce, I loved the twist of the chili powder and brown sugar. Very yummy! Will make again.
Aug 9, 2011
I made this with 2 lbs. ground sirloin and it was delicious! Will definitely make again & again. Thanks!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.