Italian Sausage Casserole
At the start of each week, my family is already looking forward to our traditional weekend breakfasts, when I serve warm and wonderful dishes such as this. The make-ahead convenience lets me relax with the family as the savory aroma fills the house. —Nancy Robinson, Kansas City, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups onion and garlic croutons
- 8 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 to 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper, mushrooms and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Place croutons in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with sausage mixture. Beat eggs and milk; pour over sausage.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 min.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Place tomato slices over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.