Italian Sausage Casserole
At the start of each week, my family is already looking forward to our traditional weekend breakfasts, when I serve warm and wonderful dishes such as this. The make-ahead convenience lets me relax with the family as the savory aroma fills the house. —Nancy Robinson, Kansas City, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups onion and garlic croutons
- 8 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 to 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper, mushrooms and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Place croutons in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with sausage mixture. Beat eggs and milk; pour over sausage.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 min.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Place tomato slices over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 329 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 195mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Casserole in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook