Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Separate 1 egg; reserve yolk for brushing pastry. In a large bowl, whisk remaining eggs and egg white. Stir in sausage mixture, spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, garlic powder and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add sausage mixture. Roll remaining pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and reserved egg yolk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top.
- Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 608 calories, 40g fat (19g saturated fat), 248mg cholesterol, 787mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Nov 28, 2017
Very good! Great flavor and a pretty quick meal. I usually make my own pie crust but chose to use store-bought this time. Still very good. I forgot to thaw the spinach so I just added it to the meat once the meat was done and heated it until thawed. That worked pretty well but ended up juicy. Next time, I will drain the liquid before mixing everything else in.
Mar 16, 2016
There should be more reviews for this recipe it's AWESOME and it makes so much ... it's a huge pie. It was a huge hit when made for a birthday party along with other Italian fare. TRY IT won't be disappointed!
Oct 12, 2014
I only used the bottom crust. I used hot Italian sausage. Try adding a touch of nutmeg to the spinach. It is also good using kale.
Apr 2, 2014
My family did not enjoy the taste.
Feb 14, 2014
It was delicious i loved it it was awesome!!! I think I liked the crust and the spinach the best but it's good with the sausage.
Jan 5, 2014
This was very delicious and not complicated to make, especially because I used pre-made crust. With a regular size pie pan, the recipe was definitely enough for 2 good-sized pies, so that's what I made. I took the suggestions of others and used 3 cups mozzarella and 2 cups ricotta. My family loved it, and we're looking forward to reheating the second one!
Nov 23, 2013
A very hearty meal good for breakfast lunch or dinner. We loved it. I think I may experiment by adding some pepperoni and sliced black olives with a little less mozzarella. For breakfast the next morning we served this with a side of home made tomatillo salsa. Yummy!
Nov 21, 2013
I used half the mozzarella, but otherwise made it as written, and it was delicious. Most of my children liked it, too. It holds together well, but I would definitely let it cool AT LEAST the 10 minutes listed, lest it be watery.
Nov 12, 2013
Great used spicy sausage, a little more ricotta and a little less mozzerella (what was in the fridge)Turned out well, looks impressive!
Sep 25, 2013
Absolutely yummy! Perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner! Only things I did differently was use refrigerated store bought crusts and added about 1 tsp dry mustard. And I used hot Italian sausage!. A real keeper!!!