Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Separate 1 egg; reserve yolk for brushing pastry. In a large bowl, whisk remaining eggs and egg white. Stir in sausage mixture, spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, garlic powder and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add sausage mixture. Roll remaining pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and reserved egg yolk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top.
- Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 608 calories, 40g fat (19g saturated fat), 248mg cholesterol, 787mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 28, 2017
Very good! Great flavor and a pretty quick meal. I usually make my own pie crust but chose to use store-bought this time. Still very good. I forgot to thaw the spinach so I just added it to the meat once the meat was done and heated it until thawed. That worked pretty well but ended up juicy. Next time, I will drain the liquid before mixing everything else in.
Mar 16, 2016
There should be more reviews for this recipe it's AWESOME and it makes so much ... it's a huge pie. It was a huge hit when made for a birthday party along with other Italian fare. TRY IT won't be disappointed!
Oct 12, 2014
I only used the bottom crust. I used hot Italian sausage. Try adding a touch of nutmeg to the spinach. It is also good using kale.
Apr 2, 2014
My family did not enjoy the taste.
Feb 14, 2014
It was delicious i loved it it was awesome!!! I think I liked the crust and the spinach the best but it's good with the sausage.
Jan 5, 2014
This was very delicious and not complicated to make, especially because I used pre-made crust. With a regular size pie pan, the recipe was definitely enough for 2 good-sized pies, so that's what I made. I took the suggestions of others and used 3 cups mozzarella and 2 cups ricotta. My family loved it, and we're looking forward to reheating the second one!
Nov 23, 2013
A very hearty meal good for breakfast lunch or dinner. We loved it. I think I may experiment by adding some pepperoni and sliced black olives with a little less mozzarella. For breakfast the next morning we served this with a side of home made tomatillo salsa. Yummy!
Nov 21, 2013
I used half the mozzarella, but otherwise made it as written, and it was delicious. Most of my children liked it, too. It holds together well, but I would definitely let it cool AT LEAST the 10 minutes listed, lest it be watery.
Nov 12, 2013
Great used spicy sausage, a little more ricotta and a little less mozzerella (what was in the fridge)Turned out well, looks impressive!
Sep 25, 2013
Absolutely yummy! Perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner! Only things I did differently was use refrigerated store bought crusts and added about 1 tsp dry mustard. And I used hot Italian sausage!. A real keeper!!!