Sausage Spinach Pizza
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 6 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add flour, oil, sugar, Italian seasoning and salt; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in Asiago cheese.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Punch dough down; divide in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to two 12-in. pizza pans coated with cooking spray. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake 5-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place tomatoes in a food processor; cover and pulse until finely chopped.
- Spread tomatoes over crusts; layer with spinach, sausage and provolone cheese. Bake 8-12 minutes or until crusts and cheese are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 314 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 13, 2012
I use the Favorite Pizza Crust 1/2 recipe, with some added italian seasoning. Use a 1/2 lb. cooked ground turkey sausage. Saute spinach before putting on pizza. Also, spread a light alfredo sauce on pizza then top w/ the well drained italian diced tomatoes. I used a mozz/prov blend of shredded cheese. So good! Next time we might add artichoke hearts as well!
Sep 6, 2010
My family loves this pizza. It is very easy to make.
Aug 24, 2010
Wonderful recipe. Used bought pizza shell and worked from there. Added pesto to the pizza one time and that was very good also. When using ready made shell, I sprinkled Asiago Cheese over the tomato sauce.