Spinach and Artichoke Pizza
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 3/4 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, salt and dried herbs until blended. Add beer, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times, adding additional flour if needed. Press dough to fit a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Pinch edge to form a rim. Bake until edge is lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Mix oil and garlic; spread over crust. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese; layer with spinach, artichoke hearts and tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until crust is golden and cheese is melted, 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 290 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Apr 2, 2018
Can you use something like water instead of beer?
Mar 31, 2017
This was a perfect alternative to regular pizza for dinner! My family loved it and with the spinach and artichoke element, I could pretend it was a bit more "healthy" - which is always great!
Jun 30, 2015
My husband and I LOVED this pizza!!! I added two pieces of crumbled bacon to the pizza and a sprinkling of feta cheese - amazing!!!! I actually used a pre-bought pizza crust to save on time. I've already shared this recipe with several friends - it was just that good!
Apr 9, 2015
My husband and I both loved this recipe. I should clarify that I used a different homemade pizza dough recipe. The only thing this pizza needed was a little salt and pepper, so the second time I made it, I added it after brushing the crust with olive oil.
Mar 28, 2015
This was pretty good--added diced chicken and olives. Seemed a little "Blah" to some family members when compared to pizza from a pizza joint.