Spinach and Artichoke Pizza
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 3/4 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, salt and dried herbs until blended. Add beer, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times, adding additional flour if needed. Press dough to fit a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Pinch edge to form a rim. Bake 8 minutes or until edge is lightly browned.
- Mix oil and garlic; spread over crust. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese; layer with spinach, artichoke hearts and tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 290 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 2, 2018
Can you use something like water instead of beer?
Mar 31, 2017
This was a perfect alternative to regular pizza for dinner! My family loved it and with the spinach and artichoke element, I could pretend it was a bit more "healthy" - which is always great!
Jun 30, 2015
My husband and I LOVED this pizza!!! I added two pieces of crumbled bacon to the pizza and a sprinkling of feta cheese - amazing!!!! I actually used a pre-bought pizza crust to save on time. I've already shared this recipe with several friends - it was just that good!
Apr 9, 2015
My husband and I both loved this recipe. I should clarify that I used a different homemade pizza dough recipe. The only thing this pizza needed was a little salt and pepper, so the second time I made it, I added it after brushing the crust with olive oil.
Mar 28, 2015
This was pretty good--added diced chicken and olives. Seemed a little "Blah" to some family members when compared to pizza from a pizza joint.