Spinach Feta Pizza
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 1 minute. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until puffed, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with garlic and garlic salt. Top with the spinach, onion, mushrooms, cheeses and basil. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 287 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 401mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 26, 2011
I've made this recipe a number of times and tweaked it each time to come up with my perfect version! I start with my own homemade pizza dough since I don't have a bread machine. I wrap a head of garlic in foil with a few teaspoons of oil and water and roast for approx 45 minutes till soft. I mash up this garlic and spread over the pizza dough. I sometimes wilt the spinach briefly in a little water or oil for a softer topping. I increase the amount of feta cheese and occasionally add some fried crumbled bacon. Of course these additions add some calories but this is probably my fave pizza ever when made like this!