Mama Rachel’s Mediterranean Pizza
Pizza has been a regular weekend dinner at our house since my pizza-crazy boys, now 21 and 25, were just little guys. We laughingly call pizza an art form around here. Every one is an original! —Rachel Barton, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 pizzas (6 slices each)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease two 12-in. pizza pans; sprinkle with cornmeal. Punch down dough; divide in half. Press to fit pans. Pinch edges to form a rim. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Increase oven setting to 450°. Brush crusts with oil; top with garlic, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, olives and Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with pepper flakes and basil.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 216 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Mama Rachel's Mediterranean Pizza in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.