Florentine Spaghetti Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion, crumbling meat, until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in pasta sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Combine the egg with the next 5 ingredients. Spread 1 cup sausage mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with spaghetti and remaining sausage mixture. Layer with egg mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned and heated through, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 449 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 1218mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 27, 2020
Hubby and I really enjoyed this. I used macaroni since I had it on hand. I took another reviewer's advice and added about 1 cup of water by rinsing out the pasta sauce jar. It gave it a nice sauciness. So good!
Jan 15, 2019
I would like to use fresh spinach as well,but should I cook it first,,even tho it will cook while its baking ?
Sep 27, 2018
Very good! I used ground beef because that's what I had on hand. The only change I would make is that next time I will add a bit more sauce--I thought it was just a bit dry and could have used some more moisture. But, very easy and tasty!
Apr 8, 2018
This is a great recipe. I use ricotta instead of cottage cheese, like others mentioned. We also like the use fresh mushrooms instead of canned. Makes helps with the texture of the dish. We have made this with a few times and have used several different pastas. It is great each time.
Oct 22, 2017
This is very tasty! I shared this with friends and everyone loved it! I used fresh mushrooms instead of can. I will make this again for sure!
Apr 11, 2017
This recipe is good and easy! I cut the recipe in half, used corkscrew pasta because I had an open box; it worked out well. I also used ricotta instead of cottage cheese. I will make this again using spicy sausage and some Italian seasonings because the family enjoys spicier dishes.
Apr 1, 2017
Very tasty and popular with my family. Made it the first time with ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese because of my personal preference. Next time I will try it as written.
Mar 9, 2017
I made this for my grandchildren and husband and everyone loved it! The flavor is great and it was easy. Next time I'll use whole wheat penne pasta.
Mar 9, 2017
Really good and easy and comforting on a cold day. As another reviewer noted, not very spicy, so just add 1/2 cup pizza sauce to the spaghetti sauce and it will perk it right up.
Feb 14, 2017
In the oven for supper tonight! Very tasty and comes together quickly for a fast meal! While it's baking you can sit down and take a break! ??