Mozzarella Baked Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg, milk and salt. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Spoon over the spaghetti mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cool spaghetti completely before tossing with egg mixture. Transfer to baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Meanwhile, prepare meat sauce and cool completely before spooning over spaghetti mixture. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 286 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 718mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 13, 2019
My girlfriend made this crap for me and I swear if I could give it 0 stars I would
Jan 10, 2019
This is a delicious baked spaghetti recipe! I made exactly as written and my husband I both loved it. Served with garlic bread. This is a keeper. Thank you for the recipe.
Oct 5, 2018
Very comforting and delicious
Jul 3, 2018
tekla92 The main thing the egg does is help to 'gel' the noodles together. I made this tonight into two 9" square pans. Followed the directions pretty closely (used only hamburger, but spicy chunky spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce. It was soooo good my husband went back for more and more and then more! Whoa! (I'm sure I put on too much more mozzarella cheese because I was trying to use up the bag :( ). In any case, you would be fine not using the egg. The noodles are making the kind of 'crust' on this. You, I hope will try this and love it, like we did! I'm going to make it next for my 9 grandkids! Good luck!
May 31, 2018
I LOVE Baked Spaghetti and this one is very good..Recipes are yours to make the way you want and in my book, you can make them your own...
Oct 1, 2017
We love this recipe! We use hot ( spicy ) Italian sausage & Spicy Sausage Prego spaghetti sauce.. We use 2 cups of mozzarella for better results. My husband prefers this over lasagna which has always being his favorite!
Aug 28, 2017
@ Brian: Why don't you actually review the recipe instead of giving your own? If you think so highly of it, have the courage to submit your own recipe!!
Aug 4, 2017
Loved this yummy recipe. It's a keeper.
Jul 9, 2017
Just in case I added 3 cloves garlic, Italian spice (1 t.) and a little hot sauce. It's a winner and it will be my pot luck contribution for the next several pot lucks.
Jul 9, 2017
Made a few changes to suit family. Delicious!!