Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained, optional
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, oregano and, if desired, ground beef. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the vegetable mixture and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, combine soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 239 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 29, 2018
This recipe has been a family favorite ever since it first appeared in Taste of Home in 1994! Now that it's just the two of us, I bake it in two 8x8-inch pans and freeze one to enjoy at a later date or share with a friend.
Jul 23, 2018
I cut this recipe in half but used the full can of soup, diluted with 1/4 cup water per the instructions. Using that amount of water, the soup is too thick to "pour", and it really doesn't cover the top of only half the recipe. The olives and oregano give it some flavor, but this casserole needs the optional beef or even sausage to make it delicious.
Jul 23, 2018
This is a nice change from traditional spaghetti. I left out the olives since my family doesn't like them.
Jul 18, 2018
Question--could I use my own sauce/"vegetable mixture" and use it instead of the sauce in the recipe? And what does the mushroom soup add to the recipe? moisture? Thanks for any help!
Jun 8, 2018
Very good. I l doubled the amount of oregano and left out the olives. Nice to be able to make it ahead of time earlier in the day and baking later on for dinner.
Apr 1, 2018
This recipe was really good. I, however, put my on twist and substituted Italian sausage for ground beef. Made it taste even better!!!
Oct 27, 2017
The reviews were so good I couldn't Wait to make this recipe. It was so bland I threw it out. I just don't understand all the great reviews. I followed the recipe.except used fresh mushrooms cooked and left out the olives. It had no taste. Oh well.
Jul 22, 2017
This great recipe is a "go to" whenever we have company. I make it in the morning and put in the fridge until I'm ready to pop it in the oven. I can spend more time with my guests and less time fussing in the kitch. Its always a hit and often requested by return guests.
Jan 29, 2017
I have been making this recipe for many many years. I take it to potlucks, reunions, funerals, Christmas parties - you name it! It always gets rave reviews. I just made this for a church function but added pepperoni to it and everyone loved it.
Dec 24, 2016
One of my very favorite recipes. Doesn't taste like spaghetti - when you say "spaghetti" people usually turn their nose up but not after they taste this dish. I leave out the olives
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.