Italian Spaghetti with Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) tomato puree
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 cups grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- In two or three stockpots or Dutch ovens, saute garlic and parsley in oil 1 minute. Add tomato puree, sauce, paste, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For meatballs, in a large bowl, combine the eggs, water, onion, bread crumbs, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic and seasonings; mix well. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Stir the remaining Parmesan into spaghetti sauce; simmer 30 minutes. Drain meatballs on paper towels; add to sauce. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatballs and sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth / water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 14, 2013
My husband (who cringes when I make spaghetti) LOVED this recipe! He said it is better than my Italian brother-in-law's sauce. What a compliment!! Thank you for this recipe!
Aug 15, 2010
This recipe is AWSOME! I have used this recipe for the last few years when I make sauce to can from my tomatoes. My entire family LOVES it and won't eat store bought sauce anymore.
Dec 24, 2009
I just made the meatballs, they were VERY good and easy to make. The family loved them. This is is a keeper.
Oct 18, 2009
Whether cooking for a crowd or wanting a great freeze it for later recipe, this spaghetti and meatballs recipe is the best I have ever tried. It does make a lot, but like I said, if it's too much, freeze it for a busy night along with a batch of buttery bubble bread!