Italian Spaghetti with Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) tomato puree
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 cups grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- In two or three stockpots or Dutch ovens, saute garlic and parsley in oil 1 minute. Add tomato puree, sauce, paste, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For meatballs, in a large bowl, combine the eggs, water, onion, bread crumbs, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic and seasonings; mix well. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Stir the remaining Parmesan into spaghetti sauce; simmer 30 minutes. Drain meatballs on paper towels; add to sauce. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatballs and sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth / water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Jan 14, 2013
My husband (who cringes when I make spaghetti) LOVED this recipe! He said it is better than my Italian brother-in-law's sauce. What a compliment!! Thank you for this recipe!
Aug 15, 2010
This recipe is AWSOME! I have used this recipe for the last few years when I make sauce to can from my tomatoes. My entire family LOVES it and won't eat store bought sauce anymore.
Dec 24, 2009
I just made the meatballs, they were VERY good and easy to make. The family loved them. This is is a keeper.
Oct 18, 2009
Whether cooking for a crowd or wanting a great freeze it for later recipe, this spaghetti and meatballs recipe is the best I have ever tried. It does make a lot, but like I said, if it's too much, freeze it for a busy night along with a batch of buttery bubble bread!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.