Italian Spaghetti Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 casseroles (8 servings each)
- 2 packages (one 16 ounces, one 8 ounces) spaghetti
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives and seasonings. Drain spaghetti.
- Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Layer with spaghetti and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 415 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Jun 1, 2020
I've made this recipe several times. The family welcomes it. We like that it is large enough to have the second day when the flavors are even more pronounced. I tweak it a little depending on what ingredients I have on hand. We like garlic so I add 3 chopped cloves. I have never used the sliced pepperoni as we prefer it with just the beef. Nothing not to like about it and kudos to the developer of it.
Mar 29, 2018
I thought there was too many noodles. if I were to make again, I would only use 1 pound of spaghetti.
Dec 19, 2012
I took this to a church pot luck and the platter came back empty! I'm making this for the second time later this week. My three young boys love it.
Jul 30, 2012
I omit the green peppers and use fresh mushrooms but otherwise follow the recipe. It is a hit whenever i serve it and has a wonderful flavor.
Oct 11, 2011
This recipe is okay. I just personally prefer more sauce with my spaghetti.~ Theresa
Aug 30, 2011
Like the idea of a dish I can put away in the freezer for another time or as a gift for a new mom. I needed to cook the entire recipe for my family (very large family). A little dry so might add to the sauce the next time. I Look for suggestions from others so appreciate the comments made on variations. Relax mailladyrr!
Aug 22, 2011
Loved it!!! To Mailladyrr: And how did you like it? Phew!!
Aug 18, 2011
My hubby loves pasta dishes, this one is a good one, make a few adjustments, add mushrooms, it's different and tasty.
Aug 18, 2011
We make a version of this but we also add Italian hot sausage in addition to the hamburger meat and some sliced green olives and green pepper.
Aug 18, 2011
Didn't care for the addition of pepperoni. Otherwise just okay.