Italian Pasta Bake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Add to beef mixture and gently stir in tomatoes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 489 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein.
Jun 2, 2019
Only change I made was only boiling the pasta for a few minutes. Boiling the pasta, then baking, made it mushy. The texture was not pleasant. Boil the pasta for half the recommended time, then mix it in and bake. Turns out much better!
Jan 3, 2019
I used 1 # of 93% ground beef and 1 # Italian sausage Drain both meats.. Added small package of turkey pepperoni before baking. Very good!
Nov 8, 2017
Good flavor but greasy. I used 85/15 ground beef so that may have been the reason.
Oct 9, 2012
Very flavorful and easy to make. Makes 2 casseroles, making it easy to freeze one and save for later. I thought I had penne pasta, but didn't, so I ended up using medium shell pasta and it was still great!