Eggplant Sausage Casserole
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set sausage aside.
- In the same skillet, saute eggplant and onion in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, basil and paprika; simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain pasta; stir into eggplant mixture. Add sausage.
- Spread half of the sausage mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread with ricotta cheese. Top with half of the cheese and remaining sausage mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 606 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1066mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 30, 2017
Great! I used turkey sausage and cottage cheese instead of ricotta to make this more heart-healthy.
Jul 12, 2016
Made the sauce as instructed. It was too bland. Added more garlic, mixed Italian herbs, thyme, freshly ground pepper. Just ok at that point. Due to other reviews, I only cooked 10oz rigatoni. Was out of penne. It was still too much pasta to sauce. Had to add Jared garlic marina to the sauce. I love all the ingredients, but this just does not work. Too much bother for too little flavor.
Mar 16, 2016
This is most delicious. I agree that you have to make extra sauce or it will be dry. I love eggplant so I was all over this recipe. It actually takes on the flavor of the sauce while cooking. I always make my own sauce, but I actually used a good jar marinara and seasoned it up to my liking, added some fire roasted tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms, etc. I don't like a lot of meat in my sauce so I cut back on the sausage a little. Will make again!
Sep 17, 2014
This was really good!! Couldn't taste the eggplant at all. Definitely will make again!
Apr 11, 2013
I am going to try this today, but I might just use a jar of sauce instead of tomatoes/paste.
Mar 30, 2013
I added mushroom, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt & pepper for extra flavors. I even added extra diced tomatoes & tomato sauce to keep it from being so dry, & it still turned out too dry. Was just OK so no, will probably not make it again. I was really disappointed for I love eggplant & sausage. Hubby said please do not make this again.
Oct 30, 2012
This was really good! The only thing I would change next time is less noodles. I, too, felt they were either too big or too many-- I couldn't fit the whole casserole in the 9x13. I wouldn't change anything else. The eggplant was a nice change!
Aug 8, 2012
This was very good I did use prego healthy sauce instead of the tomatoes and paste and also used chicken italian sausage everyone liked it
Jan 10, 2009
My family loves this casserole! We like it with a smaller noodle like a mini farfalle or an elbow as the penne seemed a little large the first time we made it. Also, you can just stir it all together and not layer it and it still tastes wonderful! we usually double it and freeze one.