Double-Crusted Sausage Egg Casserole
This breakfast has become our Christmas tradition. I love being able to assemble and refrigerate the casserole the night before. Then I just pop it into the oven to bake while we open gifts in the morning. —Lynne German, Woodland Hills, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 7 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese.
- Unroll one tube of crescent dough into one long rectangle; press perforations to seal. Press onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with sausage mixture.
- Separate 1 egg; reserve egg white for brushing top. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk, milk, salt, pepper and remaining eggs until blended; pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll remaining crescent dough and roll into a 13x9-in. rectangle; cut crosswise into 13 strips. Twist each strip and place over filling; brush with reserved egg white. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Double Crust Cheesy Sausage Egg Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.