Italian Baked Eggs & Sausage
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 jar (24 ounces) fire-roasted tomato and garlic pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 French bread demi-baguette (4 ounces), cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes; drain. Stir in pasta sauce and tomatoes. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Dollop ricotta cheese on top of meat mixture. Gently break an egg into a small bowl; slip egg onto ricotta. Repeat with remaining eggs. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until egg whites are completely set and yolks have begun to thicken but are not hard, 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with basil.
- Meanwhile, spread bread slices with butter; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Preheat broiler. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve immediately with baked eggs.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 408 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 241mg cholesterol, 1183mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 19, 2017
This is such a unique dish. We are breakfast food lovers so having this for dinner was a special treat. Very easy to make. Served with hash browns. Thank you Shelly (a fellow Oregonian!!!).
Jan 31, 2017
This looked so good that even tho there is just me, I wanted to try it out. I reduced it down to just 1/4 of the recipe, and it was perfect... I used a six inch wide, 2 inch deep compote dish, and reduced the baking time down to 25 minutes.