Italian Sausage Egg Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed, sliced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage over bread; sprinkle with cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 316 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 214mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Aug 10, 2019
Simply delicious!! Love this recipe.
Jun 4, 2019
I'm always on the hunt for a solid breakfast casserole. This one was good, although I think a little heavy on the spices, as the sausage already has a kick to it. But good overall recipe.
Nov 11, 2018
My daughter suggested adding some vegetables, mushrooms, peppers, etc and when I make I again I would cut back on the basil and oregano, I think that overpowered the taste of the dish.
Dec 20, 2017
Made this for a morning bible study group. It was easy and amazing. I did add red bell pepper and spinach because I had some that I needed to use. Added nice color. Everyone wanted the recipe.
Apr 9, 2017
Loved this! Used Crispy Crown Tator tots instead of the bread.
Mar 24, 2016
Made this for a breakfast meeting and it was a huge hit. I added some chopped up colored peppers for some color and crunch.
Mar 12, 2016
This is delicious! The Italian spices set it apart from other breakfast casseroles. I used crusty Italian bread and for the cheddar, VT white cheddar. Skim milk works fine. It is filling, but leftovers reheat well.
Feb 5, 2016
While I didn't use the herbs or the Italian sausage, I followed the rest of the recipe to a T. This was wonderful even with just regular breakfast sausage and no herbs! Very filling, too.
Dec 20, 2015
Yeah, use sausage in tube and use gluten free bread if you wish. Both are sausage and bread is bread.
Dec 20, 2015
We just had this for a holiday brunch at friends house only they made it with bacon and it was so yummy. I think they cooked the bacon first and then chopped it up and mixed it in. It was excellent and warmed our tummies on a day when the high was only 17 degrees.