Italian Sausage Rigatoni Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 pound sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook rigatoni according to package directions; drain.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms and pepper over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain. Stir in marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese and cream. Add rigatoni and toss to coat.
- In each of two greased 8-in. square baking dishes, layer one-fourth of the rigatoni mixture and one-fourth of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 25-35 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly.)
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casseroles as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 535 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Feb 7, 2019
My husband loved this receipe.
Dec 29, 2017
I love this recipe... Grandkids love it too. I used two jars of marinara sauce, which was a little more than 5 cups, but worked just fine.
Nov 18, 2015
This was excellent and the leftovers the next day were just as tasty! I ended up using shredded mozzarella since I had it on hand and it was delicious.
May 10, 2015
This was sooo good. Didn't change anything. Will make this again.
Mar 30, 2015
EXCELLENT pasta dish. Really enjoyed the taste of the Italian sausage and sweet red pepper. Quite easy to make. My modifications included (1) no mushrooms...don't eat them...and (2) used 8 oz sliced mozzarella instead of 16. Next time will add some minced garlic. This recipe is a keeper. Thanks!
Mar 29, 2015
This was very simple and pretty good. I didn't add the half and half because I didn't have it on hand but it turned out good anyway. I will definitely make again add garlic bread and a salad and you have a filling and tastey weeknight meal. Oh and I also added Italian seasoning.