Rigatoni with Sausage & Peas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until meat is coated. Stir in tomatoes, dried basil and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Drain rigatoni; stir into sausage mixture. Add peas and cream; heat through. Top with cheese and, if desired, fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 563 calories, 28g fat (12g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein.
Mar 15, 2020
This was delicious. I used goat cheese as oppose to the feta. It was so creamy, flavorful and comforting. It’s a dish I will make again and again!
Jul 12, 2019
My family loved it. I pureed the tomatoes, used mild and spicy sausage and less of the feta. Also added parm. It was so good!
Mar 5, 2016
My son doesn't usually like having tomatoes in a dosh, but he gobbled this up! It did seem a little dry, but maybe I cooked the sauce too long.
Oct 22, 2015
We thought this was good, but nothing special. It's a good weeknight meal because it is quick to throw together. Not sure if I will make again.
Sep 15, 2015
really good! I used smoked gouda instead of feta. Kids loved it
Sep 15, 2015
Outstanding flavor! The cream base was the perfect foundation for this recipe. I will definitely make this again!
Aug 8, 2014
OMG I made this recipe last night. I used hot Italian sausage and extra frozen peas. I love Feta cheese and fresh basil so I used extra also. Will definitely make this again. A keeper for me.
Aug 7, 2014
My whole family loved loved loved this recipe! It wasn't too spicy at all, and I've decided to make it a couple time a month. Because a couple of us have celiac, we make it with gluten free pasta without any issues at all. This one is definitely a keeper!
Jul 13, 2014
This was good. Easy to make. I will make it again. However, I did not use Johnsonville Mild Ground Italian Sausage. I prefer buying sausage from a butcher (not a grocery store). I used 3 mild Italian sausages. I just took the meat out of the casings before cooking. I used the entire 6 ounce can of tomato paste. Next time I will use the entire container of whipping cream and perhaps will adjust the basil too. 12 ounce bag of rigatoni? It is a 16 ounce bag so the additional 4 ounces went in. Oh, I also added some mushroom and onion that I had leftover from the day before. Even with these changes it was still good, my guess is that if you followed it exactly it would still be yummy. I like this recipe because it is quick and it makes plenty for freezing for other meals. By the way, I did not add the cheese to the frozen dishes. I will add after reheating.