Garden Shell Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 8 ounces uncooked small pasta shells
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the peas during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking time. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, peas, celery, red pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, basil, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over pasta mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 157 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 10, 2017
Everyone I have tried this on loves it including me. I also use only 1 cup of peas and add a bit more red pepper, basil, and sometimes some green onion for variety. It is among a very few recipes my husband will eat leftovers which is saying a lot!
Jan 28, 2016
Just made this salad didnt have white balsamic vinegar so used red balsamic and added some carrots .This salad is so good i cant wait for dinner so my family can try it . A keeper
Jan 22, 2015
I forgot the mustard, but it is an easy, excellent recipe! We loved it!
May 18, 2014
I've made this often. Wonderful recipe. I use one cup of peas though. 2 cups is too much for me. Many have asked me for this recipe. I noticed one person stated they omitted the vinegar, basil and mustard. The dressing is what makes the recipe. Highly recommend not dong that. LOL!
Jun 7, 2011
Used regular mayo and regular balsamic vinegar I had on hand. Omitted the red pepper and added chopped tomato. Excellent! Will be making this often!
Jan 10, 2010
I have made this several times. I really didn't know the impression it made on my family until my son's girlfriend called me to ask for the recipe. He had told her it was the best pasta salad he had ever tasted! She made it and called me back to thank me for her success.
Jan 15, 2008
I omit the vinegar, basil and mustard to better suit our taste. Adding cubed cooked ham to this easy salad makes it a main dish we enjoy during the hot summer months.