Spicy Sausage Rigatoni
My inspiration for this recipe came from a Cajun pasta dish I make with blackened chicken, however substituting Italian sausage instead. I love this dish and it makes a hearty meal that warms you up all over. —Toni Dishman, Mooresville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 3 pork and chicken Italian sausage links (3-1/2 ounces each ), casings removed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, onion, garlic and pepper flakes over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add tomatoes, mascarpone cheese, cream and nutmeg; cook and stir over medium-low heat until sauce is blended. Stir in fontina cheese until melted.
- Drain rigatoni; add to sausage mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Originally published as Toni Ronis Rigatoni in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.