Spicy Sausage Soup with Tortellini
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild or Hot Italian sausage
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted or Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups fresh spinach, thinly sliced
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, bring broth to a boil. Carefully drop sausage by heaping teaspoonfuls into boiling broth. Add tortellini, tomatoes and Italian seasoning; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sausage is cooked through and pasta is tender. Stir in spinach until wilted. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 304 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1696mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Feb 3, 2018
Simple and easy to make. Loved it!
Jan 16, 2018
I make this soup with hot sausage and chicken tortellini. Makes a delicious dinner to warm you up on a cold day. The leftovers are great for lunch.
Nov 17, 2017
We enjoyed the soup. I put twice as much tortellini in it, added 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 tsp of garlic salt. It was delicious. I had used Italian sausage that was sweet, next time I would use the spicy one.
Dec 20, 2016
I used 2 cans of tomatoes & added some diced carrots & onion. Substituted kale for the spinach & added some garlic. Sprinkled with parmesan cheese to serve. Easy and delicious!
Aug 25, 2015
Really tasty and simple. Great for a quick dinner. Made it 3 times now!
May 21, 2015
Flavor great, easy, fast and freezable.
Jan 27, 2015
Just add some crusty bread and you have a quick, delicious meal. It really does take only 1/2 hour!
Jan 19, 2015
Excellent base. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, a little basil. Sprinkle a little parmesan on top as well.
Jan 19, 2015
Quick and easy. A filling meal and perfect when it's cold outside!
Jan 11, 2015
Delicious soup...easy to make! I added a chopped onion to the pot, and I sauteed the sausage instead of dropping bits into the soup. I will definitely make this again. Thank you Cynthia!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.