Spicy Sausage Soup with Tortellini
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 pound bulk hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted or Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups fresh spinach, thinly sliced
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, bring broth to a boil. Carefully drop sausage by heaping teaspoonfuls into boiling broth. Add tortellini, tomatoes and Italian seasoning; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sausage is cooked through and pasta is tender. Stir in spinach until wilted.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 304 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1696mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 10, 2019
A quick and easy weeknight soup. I added some fresh thyme that I had on hand. I simply throw in the sprigs and remove at the end, no need to chop. Delicious!
Feb 3, 2018
Simple and easy to make. Loved it!
Jan 16, 2018
I make this soup with hot sausage and chicken tortellini. Makes a delicious dinner to warm you up on a cold day. The leftovers are great for lunch.
Nov 17, 2017
We enjoyed the soup. I put twice as much tortellini in it, added 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 tsp of garlic salt. It was delicious. I had used Italian sausage that was sweet, next time I would use the spicy one.
Dec 20, 2016
I used 2 cans of tomatoes & added some diced carrots & onion. Substituted kale for the spinach & added some garlic. Sprinkled with parmesan cheese to serve. Easy and delicious!
Aug 25, 2015
Really tasty and simple. Great for a quick dinner. Made it 3 times now!
May 21, 2015
Flavor great, easy, fast and freezable.
Jan 27, 2015
Just add some crusty bread and you have a quick, delicious meal. It really does take only 1/2 hour!
Jan 19, 2015
Excellent base. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, a little basil. Sprinkle a little parmesan on top as well.
Jan 19, 2015
Quick and easy. A filling meal and perfect when it's cold outside!