Spicy Shrimp & Penne Pasta
I created this creamy pasta dish when I needed to use up some marinara. Red pepper flakes give it a little heat, which my family loves. It's super versatile, so try it with chicken or stir in some fresh basil, too. —Lorri Stout, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta (about 12 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the butter and half of the oil over medium-high heat. Saute half of the shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes until shrimp turn pink, 3-5 minutes; remove from pan. Repeat.
- In same pan, heat marinara sauce and cream just to a boil over medium heat, stirring to blend. Stir in spinach until wilted; add to pasta. Stir in shrimp; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 395 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Spicy Shrimp and Penne Pasta in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.