Italian Shrimp ‘n’ Pasta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7-1/2 hours
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2x1-in. strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked orzo or other small pasta
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, celery, pepper, onion, garlic, sugar and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 7-8 hours or until chicken is just tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in pasta; cook, covered, on high 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in shrimp; cook, covered, 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 418 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 611mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 27, 2019
I had a bunch of vegetables to use up, so this recipe came in handy! It tasted better the next day, of course, but good recipe and simple to make!
Jan 29, 2019
I made this for a belated Christmas dinner on Saturday night. Unfortunately none of us liked it. It was a disappointment.
Jan 28, 2017
Next time I will add more sugar. I like a sweeter sauce. Otherwise it was very good.
Jun 21, 2011
My family loves this recipe. It is a little spicy for the younger kids. But the older ones love it. I like that I can skim out the shrimp for those that don't like it and still have chicken in it for them. I make it 3 to 4 times a year.
Dec 13, 2010
I made this for a pot luck - well received. I felt the spices were a little overwhelming for the shrimp so I may tweak it just a little next time.
Mar 27, 2009
I thought this was an excellent make ahead dish.will definitely make again.
Mar 21, 2009
How can I scale this down for two people?