Cheddar Shrimp and Penne
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the garlic in butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Drain pasta; add the pasta, shrimp and corn to cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 413 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 166mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Apr 18, 2014
My family loved this and it was a new addition to our Lent Friday meals. I however, did NOT cook the shrimp first. I lined them on the bottom uncooked then added the cheese/pasta sauce on top and cooked per recipe. The shrimp cooked perfectly!
Feb 11, 2014
This is a rather tasty dish. I didn't have corn and used a jarred cheddar cheese sauce then topped it off with shredded cheddar cheese. Next time I think I will try bread crumbs on top.
Feb 5, 2011
Sauce didn't ever thicken. Not really any taste. What a waste of shrimp.
Jan 15, 2011
Easy to make, good flavor! The entire family loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.