Cheddar Shrimp and Penne
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the garlic in butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Drain pasta; add the pasta, shrimp and corn to cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 413 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 166mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Apr 18, 2014
My family loved this and it was a new addition to our Lent Friday meals. I however, did NOT cook the shrimp first. I lined them on the bottom uncooked then added the cheese/pasta sauce on top and cooked per recipe. The shrimp cooked perfectly!
Feb 11, 2014
This is a rather tasty dish. I didn't have corn and used a jarred cheddar cheese sauce then topped it off with shredded cheddar cheese. Next time I think I will try bread crumbs on top.
Feb 5, 2011
Sauce didn't ever thicken. Not really any taste. What a waste of shrimp.
Jan 15, 2011
Easy to make, good flavor! The entire family loved it!