Sausage & Penne Marinara
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper in oil over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings; heat through.
- Drain pasta; toss with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 299 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
May 7, 2019
Jan 24, 2019
I made this tonight, and used a can of san marzano tomatos, added a little garlic, tiny bit of sugar, and didn't use the pepper flacks as my hope was the whole family would eat it, and my family LOVED IT! Served with galric bread and a wedge saald. Will make again for sure!
Jan 7, 2019
This is a very good recipe. I only had a jar of pre made marinara, a good one, and used that instead of the tomatoes and tomato sauce. I cooked the sausage pieces first, removed from pan then sautéed the pepper and onion because I like my veggies with a little crunch. Then put everything back in the pan together.
Oct 27, 2017
Easy recipe and my family loved it!
Nov 25, 2015
With all the spices I thought it would be flavorful. But quite bland.
Dec 29, 2014
Nov 22, 2014
made as written and is wonderful
Apr 3, 2014
I absolutely loved this! I used 1 lb bulk Italian Sausage, and wagon wheel pasta. I can't wait to make this again!
Mar 9, 2014
I may have liked this a lot better if my husband hadn't doubled the red pepper flakes....it was too spicy, but I will make it again and keep my husband out of the kitchen while I'm doing so! Lol!!
Mar 9, 2013
this was quick and very good. We added some gorgonzola cheese on top of ours and it added the right taste.