Shrimp and Grits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water, half-and-half, 2 teaspoons butter, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix ketchup, honey, lemon juice and pepper sauce. In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Stir in ketchup mixture.
- Stir cheese into grits. Serve shrimp mixture with grits.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup grits: 388 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 198mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 fat.
May 9, 2018
The grits were like a creamy, cheesy risotto and the spicy hot shrimp were the perfect accompaniment. My family loved this!
Feb 7, 2017
Super quick dinner idea. Next time I would cook the grits in 2 cup of stock instead of water to add a little more flavor--maybe would even add little jalapeno or green chilies for an extra little kick!
Sep 5, 2016
Ahhhmazing! Creamy grits and spicy shrimp...yum. I didn't add celery, and I added Gouda instead of Cheddar. This is a 5-star all the way.
Oct 6, 2015
In love with this recipe! A slightly healthier version of a great meal. It is sweet and spicy. My husband and I like spice so I tend to be heavy handed with the hot sauce and thought it evened out the sweetness well. Making it again tonight!
Feb 18, 2015
I enjoyed this recipe. I used 4 tablespoons of butter in the grits instead of 2 tablespoons. I used 2 tablespoons of garlic butter to cook the celery and I used a red onion. Those are the only changes. I saved this recipe.
Aug 22, 2014
My husband and I are crazy about this meal. I cut the amount of shrimp and all of the grits ingredients in half for the two of us, and used Sriracha instead of Tabasco. This is a dish I will make again and again.Update: Last night my husband made two comments about the evening meal. First was, "Oh, good, shrimp & grits!" when I set it in front of him, and "This is a GREAT meal" about halfway through. High praise, indeed. Thank you, Judith, for sharing the recipe.
Feb 17, 2013
This recipe was good, not great. I think what I didn't like was the ketchup. With the honey it was too sweet. May try it again without it.
Feb 14, 2011
Wow, this was GREAT! I did not add the ketchup and I didn't miss it. I used fresh shrimp and cut them in half. It was a nice change from having potatoes or rice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.