Southwestern Shrimp with Salsa
I prefer grilling in the summer because you don't need to turn on the stove and heat up the house. If you want to get fancy, serve it in a chilled martini glass for a beautiful presentation. The rice and/or shrimp can be cooked a day ahead and refrigerated until serving. —Lindsay Matuszak, Reno, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 20 uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup uncooked saffron rice
- AVOCADO-CORN SALSA:
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add the shrimp; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine avocado and lime juice; toss to coat. Add the remaining ingredients; gently stir to combine.
- Drain shrimp and discard marinade. Thread shrimp onto metal or soaked wooden skewers; place on greased grill rack. Grill shrimp, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-9 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once. Serve with rice and salsa.