Southern Seafood Gumbo
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (46 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic;cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the V8 juice, tomatoes and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in okra and catfish; cook 8 minutes longer. Add the shrimp; cook 7 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place rice in 12 individual serving bowls; top with gumbo.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 180 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 512mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Mar 23, 2018
I am not a gumbo fan, but my husband liked it.
Feb 18, 2010
I served this for "Mardi Gras" Tuesday and it was a hit! Everyone had seconds. Very easy to prepare.I added 1/2 tsp. of sugar to tone down any acidity in the tomato ingredients (I always do this), and I didn't have cayenne so I used red pepper flakes. Since I am serving six, I will add more catfish next time.Taste as you prepare, so that you can make it as spicy as you prefer.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.