New Orleans Shrimp Creole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 pounds cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute onions, green pepper and celery in 5 tablespoons butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, picante sauce and parsley.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the broth, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Stir into the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, mushrooms, olives and green onions. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 210 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 24, 2010
Loved this recipe!!!!! Made it for just something to try different and my husband said it was one of the best dinners I have ever made. I cook a lot. Will make again great for anything.