As a comfy side dish, cheese grits have great potential but sometimes need a flavor boost. For add-ins, try red pepper flakes, fresh rosemary or crushed garlic. —Paula Hughes, Birmingham, Alabama
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 2 to 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine milk, broth and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add salt.
- Whisk in grits; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until creamy, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Season with pepper and additional salt to taste.
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. crushed garlic
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 225 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 629mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Grits in Taste of Home November 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.