As a comfy side dish, cheese grits have great potential but sometimes need a flavor boost. For add-ins, try red pepper flakes, fresh rosemary or crushed garlic. —Paula Hughes, Birmingham, Alabama
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 2 to 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine milk, broth and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add salt. Whisk in grits; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until creamy, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Season with pepper and additional salt to taste.
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. crushed garlic