Easy Cheesy Loaded Grits
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound mild or spicy bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add green chilies, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup Jack cheese, butter and pepper sauce; stir until cheese is melted. Stir in eggs, then sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and set, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 399 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Feb 21, 2016
What an outstanding recipe! The grits are creamy, cheesy, and absolutely delicious! Although I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and we both had second helpings, I was happy that we still had enough leftovers for another meal. A new favorite and something I plan on making often!
Feb 19, 2016
Hi Cooksuk! Grits are also called Polenta. Don't use corn bread mix or corn flour. Excellent recipe. I usually eat Polenta for breakfast with a little melted butter and small amount of heated maple syrup. This is dinner! Thanks!!
Feb 19, 2016
Hi Cooksuk,Grits are white hominy ( corn) kind of like corn bread mix I think..it may be called something else in the UK..
Feb 19, 2016
What are grits (for those in UK) ? Sorry can't really rate as haven't made. Wish you didn't have to rate to submit a question!
Jan 17, 2016
This is a must try recipe! Made as written or with modifications it is a great anytime-meal and just as great the next day. For my spicy-loving family, used hot bulk sausage. Amount of cheese can be greatly reduced and still be fabulous! As a volunteer food editor with Taste of Home I enjoy recipes that are versatile and can feed a large family.
Feb 15, 2015
We devoured this and makes a great leftover since there is 2 of us. We used andoullie sausage instead.
Feb 14, 2015
Very good. Will make again, didn't read correct and only used 1 can instead of three of the chiles but still a good satisfying dish! Saving this one.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.