Easy Cheesy Loaded Grits
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound mild or spicy bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add green chiles, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup Jack cheese, butter and pepper sauce; stir until cheese is melted. Stir in eggs, then sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and set, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 399 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Sep 6, 2019
I'm confused as to how this is a Mexican brunch meal? Grits are a traditional SOUTHERN dish.
Apr 5, 2019
I made this casserole for a Bible study group and it was well received; even by folks (including me) who are really not "lovers" of grits! I only used 1 can of chilies and took hot sauce, sour cream, and cilantro along with me so folks could add individually. Did not add hot pepper sauce; paprika or salt to the casserole. A 1-cup serving size is not quite enough for me!!!
Feb 21, 2016
What an outstanding recipe! The grits are creamy, cheesy, and absolutely delicious! Although I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and we both had second helpings, I was happy that we still had enough leftovers for another meal. A new favorite and something I plan on making often!
Feb 19, 2016
Hi Cooksuk! Grits are also called Polenta. Don't use corn bread mix or corn flour. Excellent recipe. I usually eat Polenta for breakfast with a little melted butter and small amount of heated maple syrup. This is dinner! Thanks!!
Feb 19, 2016
Hi Cooksuk,Grits are white hominy ( corn) kind of like corn bread mix I think..it may be called something else in the UK..
Feb 19, 2016
What are grits (for those in UK) ? Sorry can't really rate as haven't made. Wish you didn't have to rate to submit a question!
Jan 17, 2016
This is a must try recipe! Made as written or with modifications it is a great anytime-meal and just as great the next day. For my spicy-loving family, used hot bulk sausage. Amount of cheese can be greatly reduced and still be fabulous! As a volunteer food editor with Taste of Home I enjoy recipes that are versatile and can feed a large family.
Feb 15, 2015
We devoured this and makes a great leftover since there is 2 of us. We used andoullie sausage instead.
Feb 14, 2015
Very good. Will make again, didn't read correct and only used 1 can instead of three of the chiles but still a good satisfying dish! Saving this one.