Cheese Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole
I can't resist this breakfast casserole. It brings all of my favorites into one dish: creamy grits, tangy cheese, rich eggs and flavorful sausage. It's the perfect alternative to traditional breakfast casseroles. —Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- Paprika, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, broth and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cheese, milk, garlic powder and sage, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in sausage and eggs. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 496 calories, 35g fat (17g saturated fat), 201mg cholesterol, 1173mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Cheese Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012