Overnight Sausage and Grits
This recipe is so appealing because it can be prepared the night before and then popped into the oven an hour before you want to eat. This hearty dish works well as a side with pancakes or waffles or can be served as the main course.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 3 cups hot cooked grits
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 3 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix grits, cheese and sausage. Beat eggs and milk; stir into grits. Add butter and garlic powder. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove dish from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 259 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Overnight Sausage and Grits in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.