Rabbit Breakfast Sausage
As a palate-pleasing alternative to traditional pork sausage, my husband and I created this lower-fat version. It's moist, flavorful and delicious. We especially enjoy it for breakfast or brunch. —Carol Heuschkel, Winsted, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1 dressed and boned rabbit (6 pounds), cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In a food processor, process the mixture in small batches until coarsely ground. Stir in apple.
- Shape into 16 patties, 3 in. each. Heat oil in a skillet; cook patties over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until sausage is browned and meat is no longer pink.