Sausage Breakfast Wraps
"I love breakfast burritos--but they're typically high in fat and cholesterol. So I created my own healthier version," says Ed Rysdyk Jr., Wyoming, Michigan. "Since my wraps freeze beautifully, they make an anytime meal. Let the sausage mixture cool for about an hour before assembling and freezing the wraps."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cartons (8 ounces each) egg substitute
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with red pepper and onion. Combine the egg substitute, green chilies and chili powder; pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until set. Break up sausage mixture with a spoon. Place 2/3 cup down the center of each tortilla; top with salsa. Fold one end over sausage mixture, then fold two sides over.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 277 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 893mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sausage Breakfast Wraps in Light & Tasty August/September 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.