Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 Kerrygold cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot grits into the eggs; return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Add the sausage, 1 cup cheese, milk and butter, stirring until the butter is melted.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 280 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Apr 20, 2017
The sausage makes this a nice change of pace from my usual cheese grits recipe. Will try making it with bulk Italian sausage for even more flavor!
Feb 19, 2016
After living in Atlanta for 35 years, we moved to California where many of my new friends have never eaten grits. I thought this might be the perfect way to introduce them to this southern treat. I prepared this casserole for a group of church ladies and they couldn't believe grits were so tasty. I read some of the reviews before preparing this, so I used spicy sausage and 8 oz. of cheddar cheese as others suggested. I will be making this again and again.
Feb 12, 2015
This is a great recipe full of great flavor easy to make and great the next day.I will easily make this again. I think i will try with different kinds of cheeses though.
Dec 24, 2014
This is delicious!!! I added more cheese, 1/2 c. butter and 3/4 c. milk like the others. Also diced canned jalapenos and tony's instead of salt.
Oct 30, 2014
I took this to a meeting this morning and everyone liked it. I think it would be good using hot sausage.
Oct 17, 2013
This was an absolutely amazing dish. The only change the next time I make it is going to be MORE CHEESE!.
May 31, 2013
This side dish is great for breakfast or dinner!
Mar 2, 2012
I've been making this recipe for years and it's very good. Mine uses 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup milk, but other than that it's about the same.